Hiring the right Ottawa medical malpractice lawyer to represent you in your lawsuit could make the difference in whether or not you have a positive or negative outcome to your case. First, you want to make sure that the lawyer you consider is one who has a long track-record of success in medical malpractice cases like yours. Then, you’ll want to meet firsthand with that lawyer to determine if your personalities are such that you can work together for the long term as medical malpractice cases can take years to resolve.
Ten Things to Ask an Ottawa Medical Malpractice Lawyer before Engaging Legal Services
Remember that when you are hiring a medical malpractice lawyer, he or she is working for you. While the lawyer is getting something out of your case, the ultimate beneficiary is you. Don’t be afraid to ask an Ottawa medical malpractice lawyer that you are considering hiring some hard questions. Below are ten important questions to ask upfront to get you started.
- Is my first consultation completely free regardless of what I decide to do?
- Do you provide clients with a comprehensive financial agreement that includes all the charges that I must pay during our relationship?
- When do you require payment for your services? (i.e., after the final settlement or award, in advance or monthly, as costs arise?)
- What experience do you have in pursuing medical malpractice lawsuits like mine?
- Do you have the financial resources available to see my case through to trial?
- Is medical malpractice a specialty of your firm or one of many types of law you practice?
- Can you give me a general idea of your strategy for pursuing a medical malpractice case like mine and what are the odds of it working?
- Are you well-known in the Ottawa medical malpractice community and do medical malpractice insurance companies know who you are?
- Could you provide me with information about decisions in medical malpractice cases you have handled?
- What problems or challenges do you anticipate concerning my particular medical malpractice and how will you overcome them?
A Reputable, Confident Ottawa Medical Malpractice Lawyer Will Welcome Your Questions
A reputable, confident Ottawa medical malpractice lawyer will welcome your questions. He or she will encourage you to make sure that you understand answers to your questions and investigate their credentials further. Medical malpractice litigation is complex and difficult to win, so you want to make sure that the medical malpractice lawyer you hire is competent, experienced, and open to your questions. If you or a loved one has suffered injury at the hands of a healthcare provider and believe you have a medical malpractice case, contact an Ottawa medical malpractice lawyer to see what legal
options you might have to be compensated for those injuries.
An Ottawa Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Can Take Years to Resolve
Filing a medical malpractice case in Ottawa is not for the faint of heart. A complex, long term undertaking that can take years to resolve, a medical malpractice suit consists of a lot of paperwork, a lot of fact finding, and a lot of negotiation. Knowing what to expect before filing a medical malpractice lawsuit will ease the stress of wondering why it is taking so long.